If you are currently in Australia and want to convert 408 visa to student visa to pursue further studies, you may wonder it is possible to transition to a student visa.

Australia offers many high-quality education opportunities for international students. The good news is that under certain circumstances, it is indeed possible to convert a 408 visa to a student visa. Which allows them to engage in specific activities or programs.

In this blog post, we’ll explore the possibilities and requirements associated with transitioning from a 408 visa to a student visa in Australia.

Temporary Activity Subclass 408 Visa to Student Visa

A Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408) is designed to facilitate short-term stays in Australia for individuals participating in specific activities or programs. These activities could include work-based training, research, or relevant events like conferences or sporting events. Typically, up to three months or as determined by your specific activity.

Considerations and Limitations

While transitioning from a 408 visa to a student visa is possible, it’s worthwhile to know the potential limitations and considerations.


Prior to submitting your student visa application, make sure all required documents are prepared.


Make sure you know the visa application fee and other relevant costs While transitioning from a 408 visa to a student visa.

Visa Conditions

Understand the student visa conditions, such as work limitations and the requirement to maintain satisfactory academic progress. To ensure compliance and avoid visa complications.

Ensure all visa conditions are met, including attendance requirements, course progress, and reporting requirements. Seek advice from the university if any issues arise. Stay informed of any changes to visa conditions as they may affect your studies.

Transitioning from a 408 Visa to Student Visa

You can convert a 408 visa to a student visa for higher education in Australia. You can certainly apply for a student visa.

GTE Requirement

  • Must meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement, indicating that you intend to stay in Australia for a short time to study.
  • You will need to show evidence that you are genuinely interested in studying and returning home after completing your studies.

Sufficient Time Left on your 408 Visa

  • It’s essential to ensure that your 408 visa is still valid and has sufficient time remaining before you apply for a student visa.
  • Applying for a student visa when your 408 visa is about to expire might lead to complications or even visa refusal.

Meet Student Visa Requirements

Students must meet certain requirements to qualify for a student visa.

  • These requirements include receiving a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) from an Australian educational institution,
  • Proving you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses and tuition fees, and fulfilling health and character requirements.
  • Familiarize yourself with the specific requirements outlined by the Department of Home Affairs to ensure a smooth transition.

Financial Considerations

  • Supporting yourself while studying in Australia requires sufficient funds as part of your student visa application.
  • This requirement aims to ensure that you can cover your living expenses, accommodation, and tuition fees.
  • If your financial circumstances have changed since being on a 408 visa, you may need updated evidence of economic capacity.

Health Insurance

  • International students in Australia need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
  • If you already have OSHC coverage during your 408 visas.
  • You will have to ensure it remains valid throughout your student visa duration.
  • If your OSHC expires, you will need to extend or obtain another policy that covers the duration of your intended studies.

Seek Professional Advice

It is highly recommended that you seek professional advice from a registered migration agent or immigration lawyer given the complexity of visa applications. In addition to guiding you through the process, they can help you understand your eligibility and prepare a strong application for you.

What To Do Next?

Transitioning from a Temporary Activity subclass 408 visa to student visa is indeed possible in Australia. However, it’s essential to carefully consider the timing, meet student visa requirements, and ensure you have the necessary financial capacity and health insurance coverage.

The pursuit of further education in Australia can be exciting and enriching. By understanding the process and meeting the necessary requirements, you can successfully transition from a 408 visa to a student visa.

By doing so, you will be able to begin your educational journey in Australia. We will be happy to assist you or provide information about this process if you need it.

Get in touch with our team!

FAQS (Frequently Asked Questions) Related to 408 Visa

Following are the FAQs discussing further queries related to 408 Visa:

Q1: Can I study on a 408 visa?
A1: No, the 408 visas are not intended for studying purposes. It is designed for short-term activities such as work, research, or participating in an event.

Q2: Can I extend my stay on a 408 visa?
A2: It is possible to apply for an extension of a 408 visa in certain circumstances, such as if the purpose of your stay has not been completed within the initial visa period.

Q3: Can I study a short course on a 408 visa?
A3: Generally, a 408 visa is not meant for studying purposes. If you wish to undertake a short course, it is advisable to apply for an appropriate student visa.

Q4: Can I study English language courses on a 408 visa?
A4: English language courses are not typically permitted on a 408 visa.



Related Articles