Are you a student looking to stay in Australia after graduation? If so, the subclass 485 replacement visa is a great option for you. However, starting November 16, 2019, this 485 replacement visa will be replaced by the new Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). This is great news for students who want to stay in Australia and experience all that our amazing country has to offer!
If you are confused about the changes, don’t worry! We’ll outline all of the changes in this blog and tell you what you need to do if you want to apply for a subclass 485 replacement visa.
What is a 485 visa?
The 485 visa is a subclass of the 485 Temporary Graduate visa. This type of visa gives an individual two years of temporary residency in Australia and ultimately leads to them obtaining permission for Permanent Residency (PR) once certain requirements, such as earning a certain amount of income or on-the-job skills assessment, are met.
With a 485 replacement visa holders are also able to work, study and travel in and outside of the country at their leisure. With the ability to gain a Permanent Residency after a short period and enjoy all the rights that come with it, the 485 replacement visa is the ideal pathway for recent graduates looking to establish themselves in this beautiful country.
Categories of 485 Visa
The 485 replacement visa enables international students who successfully complete their studies in Australia, to extend their stay and gain work experience relating to their field of study. Graduate Work and Post-Study Work are the two streams that make up the 485 visas.
Graduate Work stream
This visa requires the student to demonstrate completion of an eligible course, so they can stay in Australia for up to 18 months and work in a related field.
Post-Study Work Stream
This visa allows graduates with eligible higher education degrees to remain in Australia for two or four years depending on their area of study.
What is the Duration of your Stay?
The 485 replacement visa is a temporary visa that grants eligible holders the right to stay in Australia for a total duration of up to 4 years.
This work-based visa type allows individuals to stay as long as their occupation is listed on the current skilled occupation list (also known as MLTSSL) and they already hold a 485 primary or 482 Temporary Skill Shortage visa. During this time, they are permitted to work and study unrelated field
What is the Eligibility Criteria?
For the Visa application to be submitted successfully:
- Follow a simple, straightforward process to apply
- Must-have no interruptions in your stay in Australia
- Be able to provide evidence of enrolment or successful completion of studies at an Australian university
- Complete an online 485 application form
- Submit it along with supporting materials such as passport, bio page copies, and proof of identity photographs
- Easily apply for a Graduate Temporary Visa online or through a paper-based application
- Provide all the necessary documents, including an Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test result
- Pay a fee to submit your application to the Department of Home Affairs
- Suitable for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher
- have achieved a minimum of 65 points on the Points Test.
- Applicants must also demonstrate that they are competent in the English language by providing proof of IELTS results
- The 485 replacement visa is designed for those who have already spent two years or more in Australia
To be eligible for this program, applicants must meet the academic requirements of having at least a bachelor’s degree and Additionally. As this 485 replacement visa is specifically tailored to cater to current 485 visa holders, standard processing time may be faster than normal.
What is the Cost of a 485 Replacement Visa?
The 485 replacement visa process is critical for anyone currently studying as a graduate student in Australia. The varying cost of the 485 visas depends on the current Visa Pricing Table, though applications must include the original fee and additional charges will apply depending on individual circumstances.
It is best to apply well before your initial 485 visa expires in order to have plenty of time for your application to be processed, by tracking your progress of you. The estimated cost of this visa is $1680 AUD.
Do I need to Pass an English Proficiency Exam in Order to Obtain the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)?
This visa does not require one to pass an English proficiency test, but appropriate evidence of English proficiency levels must be provided when applying for the visa. Evidence of an IELTS or TOEFL is typically accepted and should meet the Department of Home Affairs‘ relevant criteria when applicable – a minimum score is generally required.
Do I Require OSHC (overseas student health coverage) to Back up my Request for a new 485 Visa?
If you are applying for a 485 replacement visa, it is important to purchase Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC). OSHC is an essential part of the 485 visa applicants.
The 485 Replacement Visa Check List
Applying for a 485 temporary visa is a crucial process for prospective graduate students looking to study in Australia. To ensure that you meet the requirements and have everything prepared for your 485 replacement visa application, it’s essential to make use of a comprehensive checklist.
- Ensure you have a comprehensive checklist to follow for a successful visa application
- Verify that your chosen program is an eligible course
- Submit all required documentation
- Make the application process easier and less stressful
- Verify that you have all the required documents/information
- Avoid costly mistakes that can delay or jeopardize your application
- Ensure a successful visa application with minimal stress
- Understand what evidence is needed to support your application
- Be informed about what happens after you submit your application
announcement on the replacement of temporary graduate visa post-covid
The 485 replacement visa has been introduced as a workable remedy for the COVID-19 interruption. Both current and past Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders are eligible for the 485 visas. It will provide them with an extra year onshore in Australia, to utilize their Australian qualification or further develop skills they already possess.
What 485 Replacement Visa has to Offer?
The 485 Replacement Visa, commonly referred to as the Temporary Graduate Visa, has many benefits for recent graduates of educational institutions. The 485 replacement visa, also known as a temporary graduate visa, offers numerous benefits to those looking to extend their stay in Australia after completing their degree.
- Stay in Australia for up to 4 years to work and gain professional experience
- Gain valuable on-the-job training
- Extend your stay beyond the 485 visa period
- A perfect option for anyone seeking to take full advantage of post-graduate living and working
- Offers a number of pathways for visa holders to extend their stay and gain more experience in Australia
- Is an attractive option for talented students and professionals looking to live in Australia long term
- Makes it easier for graduates to find work in their field of expertise
- Furthermore, 485 holders have access to Medicare, the Australian public health system,
- Increases their chances of gaining employment in highly demanded fields
- holders of this type of visa are eligible for more permanent residency options
How can we Help with the 485 Replacement Visa?
The subclass 485 visa is a great opportunity for those who have graduated from an Australian university to stay and work in the country temporarily. With the recent announcement of the replacement of this visa with the new graduate visa, there has never been a better time to apply.
If you are eligible and interested in applying for this visa, we would be more than happy to help you through the process. We will make sure that your application is done correctly and efficiently so that you can begin working on your career goals as soon as possible. Contact us at StudyWise today to get started! Also, download the StudyWise app to get the list of courses you can apply for in Australia.