International students in Australia can continue working for unlimited hours. In this article, we are going to discuss the new announcements made by the Australian government for international students studying and working in Australia.
For recent announcements, temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders at Australia’s jobs and skill Summit, the Australian government has decided not to reintroduce restrictions on per week working hours for international students until at least mid-2023.
A government announcement in January this year stated that all foreign students in Australia could work more than 20 hours a week. This means that foreign students working in any field can work for an unrestricted number of hours per week.
To comply with the visa requirements, students should remain registered on the university course and maintain satisfactory course attendance and progress while working. This amendment was made to help with the labor shortages that have enveloped Australia since the border closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is Student Visa 500?
Student Visa 500 is a temporary visa granted to students who want to study in Australia. There is a requirement for working hours for student visa holders by the Australian government due to which they are unable to work for more than that required time while doing their studies.
The temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders has made it easy for them to work without restriction for a limited time period.
Requirements for Student Visa 500
- Applicant must be 6 years or above.
- An English proficiency test must be taken.
- Meet character and health criteria.
- Students must provide Confirmation of Enrollment for a full-time course.
- Must provide evidence of sufficient finances for the stay in Australia.
To Apply for a Student Visa
- If you are studying outside of Australia, you must apply for a visa at least six weeks before the start of the program.
- If you are currently in Australia, please set aside time for yourself before your existing visa expires, as you may require a longer time if something goes wrong.
- It is possible to submit an online application in or outside Australia.
- The Immi account must be created or logged in before you can upload documentation and pay the visa application fee.
Temporary Relaxation of Working Hours for Student Visa Holders
As a result of a lack of workers, there is a temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders. Students from overseas can now work for convenient hours in Australia. They are not bound to work only for 40 hours.
Although, Students are suggested to strike a balance between studying and working. They can work in any sector of the economy before commencing their study program till June 30th, 2023. After this date, the temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders will end.
There is a temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders but you need to take care of few important things mentioned below.
- Maintain your course enrollment during your study and stay in Australia.
- Satisfy your course attendance.
- Your grades in the course must meet the required criteria.
You can also check the article about all you need to know about student visa working hours in 2023!
You are violating the temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders if:
- If you do not maintain your course enrollment while studying and staying in Australia.
- Do not maintain or satisfy the course attendance.
- Cancel or leave the course
Information for Employers
Due to the temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders, there is some important information for employers by the department of home affairs.
Employers must remain in compliance with Australian workplace laws. Under Australian workplace law, overseas workers, including overseas students, have the same rights as other workers.
During the implementation of these measures, the Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force will:
- They may use their authority under Section 116(1)(b) of the Migration Act of 1958. This is to prevent the cancellation of visas for students who work more than 40 hours every two weeks to support your organization.
- Not referring student visa holders for inquiry of any potential violation under section 235 of the Migration Act 1958. This might be relevant to the number of hours worked by a student in breaching the visa terms.
- In all circumstances, the department will not refer you or relevant third-party labor hire companies for investigation under section 245AC of the Migration Act 1958. An example of this is enabling a student visa holder to work without permission.
As Australia has given this wonderful opportunity to the students to work for unlimited hours it is beneficial for both parties. Students can gain more experience in the practical world with more salaries. On the other side, Australia will get workers which were in shortage for a long time after COVID-19.
So, International students can take a lot of benefits from this temporary relaxation of Working hours for student visa holders. To get more information on student visas and the eligibility for your desired course in Australia you can download our StudyWise App.